1. Why did you join Ardent? I introduced Leslie to crossfit when we were together. For a good 3 years, we took advantage of the free crossfit facility at Fort Belvoir while we worked in that area at the time. When we moved to Stafford and got settled, I recommended we go to an actually crossfit gym because my first experience with crossfit was back in 2011 for a good year in San Antonio, Texas. What I loved was the coaches attention to detail and care but the best part was the community and events we did. I wanted Leslie and I to share that here. So logistically, since we lived in Aquia Harbor, we went to Ardent Crossfit. Upon the first visit, right off the bat, we felt welcomed. We loved how everyone was welcoming and introducing themselves. Since early 2019 to now, we have grown together to get to know everyone even more and continue to support Ardent and the community.
2. What’s been your biggest accomplishment? Not forgetting to drop the barbell and Sean not yell at me. But honestly would be my squat and deadlifts max weight has been increasing without compromising my Army run time.
3. What are you working on now? Double unders and power snatches have been my weakest movements and most discouraging ones. Now I’m learning to love power snatching but DU not so much. That speed rope really makes me hate it still.
4. What’s your favorite Ardent memory? Registering with my wife for our first crossfit open. I never would imagine I would have the confidence but Ardent sure motivated me. Despite there were many areas I need to improve on, it was a great memory.
5. What motivates you to continue at Ardent? Being able to be around like minded people who love agonizing, painful, and, at the same time, rewarding workouts. Not being ashamed of being ourselves in class, making jokes and cheering one another on is awesome.
6. What would you tell your pre-Ardent self about starting CrossFit if you could go back in time? I had a long time stigma that crossfit was ridiculously dangerous. I’d be like that batman meme smacking Robin and tell myself just go. You will experience far more than when you go to the gym with people who have headphones on or people, who like to chat all day and not workout, all while they hog the equipment! Lol!
7. What are your favorite hobbies outside of CrossFit? Leslie and I loved doing obstacle racing, specifically Spartan races. We did them for 3 years in a row and even traveled out of state to go to these races. It was a fun adventure to try and include our other obstacle races as well. It got expensive and so our other cheap hobby has been trail hiking around parks in NOVA. On rainy days or cold ones, we are in our garage gym that we have invested little by little on. Still need a rower and echo bike to be complete though!