Meet Kalyn! She is a 24 year old recent graduate of JMU. She has a Bachelors degree in Anthropology. She started Crossfit at Ardent in 2016. Olympic lifting is her favorite part, so any workouts with barbells, you can catch her doing. She also loves workouts with any gymnastic movements like toes to bar and pull ups. Kalyn is normally lifting in the back during the 9:30AM class, but attends the 6:30PM class! Want to grab coffee? Kalyn is always down to, so don’t hesitate to say hi!
1. Why did you join Ardent? I played soccer for half of my life until I was told I couldn’t play anymore. I was always an athletic person. My dad talked a bit about CrossFit, but I never thought much of it until I attended a Friday Night Lights at a CrossFit box. It was scary to watch, but I was all for it. I researched for CrossFit boxes near Stafford and Ardent was the first one to pop up. My first day was so scary, to be honest, but once I settled into my 1st class, everyone was so sweet and welcoming. The feeling of a close knit community made me really happy with my decision to join Ardent.
2. What’s been your biggest accomplishment? My biggest accomplishment… That’s a hard one! I feel like I’ve accomplished so much with Ardent. My capability to lift heavy things and do gymnastic movements I never thought I could stem from the confidence I have gained over the years! And that’s a big accomplishment for me. I’ve always been timid and never want to go for things that put me out of my comfort zone, but CrossFit does that and I love it.
3. What are you working on now? I’ve transitioned more into full time weightlifting. So, I’m working on making more gains and qualifying for more events! Even under these circumstances, you have to work with what you got.
4. What’s your favorite Ardent memory? Oh man… There’s a lot, but my all time favorite memory is probably 17.1. Such an awful workout, but a bittersweet beginning to the many accomplishments I would be making with Ardent. It was my very 1st open workout and I remember many of our members being so proud of me for finishing the workout under the time cap. It made me feel more proud than I already was of finishing because of everyone’s support.
5. What motivates you to continue at Ardent? There’s always room to grow and improve! And Ardent always has a way to challenge us and make new goals.
6. What would you tell your pre-Ardent self about starting CrossFit if you could go back in time? Step out of your comfort zone and try new things. Stop doubting yourself because if you do, you’ll never be able to see what you’re truly capable of.
7. What are your favorite hobbies outside of CrossFit? I love reading! My collection of books is growing. I love thrift shopping with my best friend, Chellsie. And I love spending time with my family, Chris, and our pup, Smokey.