Meet Virginia! Virginia originally started CrossFit with Ardent in November 2013. She comes to a variety of classes but mostly 5:30pm. Ardent is often the much needed end to a long commute. Olympic Lifting is her favorite part of CrossFit, although she is slowly learning to appreciate the gymnastics and cardio pieces. When she isn’t commuting or at Ardent, you can find her hanging out with her husband and three kids.
1. Why did you join Ardent? I have actually joined Ardent twice. First because it was near where my had kids activities going on. I use to watch from the window and was fascinated by the workouts. Somewhere along the way I let the excuse of life creep in and took a break from CrossFit. After about a year break and working out off and on, on my own my husband encouraged me to go back. I needed the accountability and missed the community and as he said I was never as happy as when I worked out at Ardent.
2. What’s been your biggest accomplishment? The biggest would be competing in my first Olympic Lifting meet. Since joining CrossFit I have always been drawn to lifting and after getting pretty sick about 18 months ago I knew it was an area I wanted to focus. It is where I was most comfortable when I was able to start working out again. It was a slow go to get back to working out much less in a position to compete. I have great coaches that pushed me and put me in the best position to go out there and represent the Ardent Barbell Club. The second would be working on my nutrition. I worked with an Ardent nutrition coach for about 6 months and have been maintaining on my own for almost a year now. It is amazing to see what that little bit of accountability can do. I didn’t make huge changes but I learned how to eat for me.
3. What are you working on now? Everything. It doesn’t matter what the movement is, whether I am working on my first pull up or fixing my form in my lifts I am always trying to be better.
4. What’s your favorite Ardent memory? Favorite is difficult. Anyone who hangs around the Ardent Barbell Club is bound to have some good gems to pull from but one I think about a lot is working with my nutrition coach. I remember our first meeting I told her I didn’t like salad and she said so don’t eat salad. I knew this was the nutrition plan for me.
5. What motivates you to continue at Ardent? The coaches and community. Getting to the me today has taken a lot of work and I couldn’t have done it without the people that push me out of my comfort zone.
6. What would you tell your pre-Ardent self about starting CrossFit if you could go back in time? Probably nothing. I had no idea what CrossFit was until construction on Ardent started next to Power Kix. I would tell the person who took a break to not let your excuses get in the way of your health. Find that hour.
7. What are your favorite hobbies outside of CrossFit? I have three pretty busy kids so anytime outside of CrossFit is spend with them. Watching their games, doing something outside or playing a board game.